Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Reading

I finished Joan Didion's 'The Year of Magical Thinking' last night. I'll save you a review, except to say that I....liked isn't the right word...felt for her maybe. I could see where the book walks a fine line of emotionally engaging and overly privilaged. But it's as elequent and spare a reflection of devastating loss as I think I ever want to get.
This morning I'm changing gears and started this:
Interviews with Jonathan Adler and Lotta Jansdotter. So far there's been some good advice. Some of the um...prose between interviews and tips is a little too precious (i.e. "it's not uncommon when you ask a gal where she got the baubles strung around her neck for the answer to be a business card and a handshake" - I'm paraphrasing (slightly) there but it's still too precious)

No comments: