Wednesday, January 30, 2008

When blogs collide...

Last night was the unvieiling of the planes for Crystal City's Crystal Flight public art project. I've been telling people 'it's like the Pandas...but with planes". Crystal City has a blog about it here. There's even a window where you can watch the artists working on their planes. I'll be working on mine nights and weekends, so no one will probably be seeing me. hah-hah.
I am pretty impressed with the efforts the Crystal City BID is making to improve its artistic foothold. Arlington County has long been a leader in public art and the effort that I see Crystal City taking to lure artists and attention to their streets makes me embarassed a little for DC which seems to want to cross its arts and say 'no' to projects.
Although, I will say, Crystal City urban planners? what were you thinking? Driving around that area is nothing short of ridiculous. However, after 4 pm, the parking is free, and there's a metrostop within the building the planes are housed. Yes...Crystal City even thought about giving space for the artists to work. Kind of amazing huh?

I'll post pictures of my progress. But right now, I'm concentrating on having new stuff for the crafts and kisses show this weekend. Yipes!

No comments: